Millie from our Home team shows you how to add a modern-farmhouse vibe to your home.
Millie, the Director of our Home division at Garnet Hill, lives on an 18th century farm with her husband and son. This week, she shares tips that she uses to blend the old with the new to make her historic home contemporary and comfortable, brimming with modern-farmhouse charm.
TIPS FOR A WARM & COZY BEDROOM
- Layer your bed with texture, pattern, and neutral shades to create a rich yet calming retreat.
- Neutral pieces work in any season. Try starting with a foundation of white and oatmeal. It’s a versatile combination that’s clean and bright.
- Linen is truly a seasonless fabric. I like to use a linen duvet cover and shams all year for beautiful texture and drape. Linen sheets are airy and breathable in the summer, and they magically transition to offer warmth as layers as fall approaches. Linen sheets don’t feel cool to the touch, like percale, so they’re cozier to climb into as the nights grow cooler.
- When it comes to transitioning your bed between seasons, it’s all about the layers. Texture on texture feels warm, inviting, and cozy. A waffle-weave blanket, linen quilt, and brushed alpaca throw can be interchangeable from summer to winter for the right degree of warmth.
- A cozy rug like our sheepskin softens your entry into the waking world, coddling your sleepy self and easing the transition to the day.
- An arrangement of fresh cut flowers on your bedside brings nature inside.
Shown: Relaxed Linen Bedding, Relaxed Linen Quilt, Waffle Blanket, Brushed Alpaca Throw, Sheepskin Rug, EILEEN FISHER Washed Linen Bedding.
TIPS FOR A 5-MINUTE BATH “RENOVATION”
- From rugs to towels to the shower curtain, coordinating colors and patterns will create a fast and relatively inexpensive way to re-fresh the space.
- If you’re looking for a spa-like space, try clean, neutral tones to give the room an easy California vibe that feels rustic and natural. It’s a look that’s modern and feels luxurious for guests.
- I contrast my dark wooden floors with the Cottage Stripe Rug. Cotton rugs like this one are durable and easy to throw in the washing machine.
- Mix textures with the GH Signature Towel in birch and the Ribbed Towel. I love that the Ribbed Towel adds just a touch of pattern and really ties the rug into the room.
- The relaxed Linen Shower Curtain adds an airy feel reminiscent of a warm sunny day.
- Finally, the bath rug creates a sophisticated sense of practicality.
Shown: Garnet Hill Signature Towels, Ribbed Towels, Garnet Hill Signature Bordered Bath Rug, Dash & Albert Cottage Stripe Rug, Relaxed-Linen Shower Curtain
TIPS FOR A MODERN-FARMHOUSE DINING SETTING
- As fall nears, my recipe box turns from fresh garden salads to heartier harvest meals. I find this textural, all-neutral backdrop creates a warm, clean look that’s an ideal foundation, no matter what you’re plating.
- Neutrals with natural wood provide a warm “modern farmhouse” look that creates an inviting, comfortable place setting.
- Organic-shaped earthenware adds a sense of simplicity, artisan craftsmanship, and nature to the table
- Linen adds texture and creates a cohesive look.
Shown: Sintra Stoneware, Relaxed-Linen Table Collection, Linen Kitchen Towels
From rugs and lighting to flannel sheets and original hand-detailed quilts, we curate and create distinctive pieces for a beautiful, restful, and happy home. For more inspiration, shop the latest collection of bed, bath, and table settings. You’ll find there are many ways to add charm and comfort, while brightening a space. Happy decorating!
How are you staying creative and happy at home? We’d love to read your ideas and see your photos on social media. Share them with us using #GarnetHillFamily and #HappyAtHome on Instagram.