The official back-to-school season may be over, but making school lunches for the kids every morning isn’t. So we teamed up with two sources of help. Lauren from Heart of Deborah gives us some mommy hacks for the school year, and Stonewall Kitchen reinvents the classics with a little gourmet flair.
“As a busy mom I love finding easy cheats to make meal time faster and easier!”
–Lauren, Heart of Deborah
- Choose quality ingredients: Revamp the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich with gourmet jam. Try Strawberry jam or Wild Maine Blueberry jam made with non-GMO ingredients – you’ll feel good about giving it to your kids, and they’ll love the fun flavor options.
- Add some crunch: Pretzels and snack mixes are the perfect addition for an on-the-go snack – especially Stonewall Kitchen’s Ultimate Snack Mix for the flavor and convenience. It’s a gourmet snack made easy.
- Use reusable baggies: Always running out of snack bags in your house? Consider using reusable snack bags instead of plastic ones. You will never run out, it’s better for the environment, and your child will love the fun, bright patterns.
- Add whole foods: Try to pack one or two whole foods to go with the sandwich and snacks. Apples, bananas and blueberries are easy fruit options while sliced cucumbers, carrots and red peppers are the perfect finger food vegetable.
- Plan ahead: Instead of waiting until the morning of school, pack your child’s lunch at night. Your morning will be less stressful, and you can involve your children in the lunch-making process. They may be more willing to eat it if they help you pack it!